Friday, December 9, 2011

12 Tags of Christmas: Day #9



my version of tag #9
The Inspiration: Tim's tag #9--see www.timholtz.typepad.com for more.
I think this may be one of my favorite tags so far. Instead of stamping the flourish like Tim did, I used an inked embossing folder and heat embossed the flourish design with white pearl embossing powder from CTMH. After that, I used Red Brick Distress stain over the whole tag and the pearl embossing powder acted as a resist, but picked up some of the stain. Then I swiped the whole tag with clear embossing ink and coated it in clear embossing powder and heated for an enamel look. I inked the edges of the tag in Burlap distress ink.
I am excited to say that I made my own embellishments from a candy cane stamp embossed with red, cut out, and inked with burlap. I used the CTMH Art Philosophy cartridge to cut holly leaves, and I crumpled them, sanded them, then inked with burlap and glued them behind the candy cane and accented with red pearls from Queen & Co. My favorite embellishments are the tickets though...I diecut those from the cardboard packaging from candy canes! Then I sanded them to distress and added more burlap ink and stapled them on the tag with the Tiny Attacher. I used white seam binding ribbon and a bow of green and red bakers twine that mimics the look of the candy cane stripes.
I've enjoyed this 12 tag adventure for the inspiration its given me to take the time to sit down and play with some involved techniques that I usually don't allow myself the luxury of having the time for. Only 3 more days to go!


1 comment:

  1. You're so clever to think of using an embossing folder Tabitha and the effect is wonderful, better than the stamp in the original :), yours is a beautiful take on the tag. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete