Sunday, December 11, 2011

12 Tags of Christmas: Day #11




The inspiration: Tim's Tag #11--to see more visit www.timholtz.typepad.com
My version of today's tag, was again quite a challenge due to the need to adapt the materials used because I am missing so many of what Tim has in his collection! I loved the look of the vintage/retro Santa, but only had a small stamp, so I kind of shrunk down the design and shifted everything to the bottom of the tag which gave me the opportunity to showcase more of the background technique. I added snowflakes stamped with Blue Jean Distress Stain and embossed "Happy Holidays" in silver.
Without a melting pot and UTEE I was left to heating the shrink plastic with a heat gun and then inking with alcohol ink, painting white on the back, and then attaching to the tag with CTMH liquid glass (their version of Glossy Accents). Once I glued the pieces to the tag, I used the liquid glass in a thick layer on the pieces too, so that I could get the high shine plastic gloss look that Tim achieved by submerging the pieces in UTEE. I diecut the flower shape out of the shrink plastic, but had to handcut the holly leaves and branch because I do not have that die.
Again, Tim has challenged me--this time to pull out things I haven't played with in forever (i.e. shrink plastic) and things I've bought and haven't ever used (i.e. the little retro santa stamp) and make use of my own resources instead of buying new things (i.e. hand cutting pieces instead of buying more dies). I can't believe there is only one day left!

1 comment: